Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended and Framemaker 9 vs. Framemaker 9 and Adobe PDFMaker Plugin

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Tue May 4 20:21:46 PDT 2010

Where to start...

First of all, PDFMaker is not involved in producing PDFs from Adobe applications. Some Adobe apps (e.g. InDesign and Illustrator) have PDF generation built into the app itself and don't need *any* additional softeare components. Other Adobe apps (e.g. FrameMaker) come bundled with the Distiller component to support PDF generation. But it is important to note that this bundled version of Distiller is *not* PDFMaker.

PDFMaker is an set of enhanced Distiller interfaces for *non-Adobe* apps like Lotus Notes and the various apps in the MS Office suite. The obvious thing that PDFMaker does is to install an "Adobe PDF" menu in the user interface of the non-Adobe tool to make it more straightforward to produce a PDF (i.e. via a single button click).  [This capability is unnecessary in FrameMaker because Frame has both a Save As PDF command and the ability to print to the Adobe PDF virtual printer built into it.]  What is less obvious is that for tools like MS Word, PDFMaker also provides a tighter coupling between the source document and the Distiller component so that cross-references and hyperlinks in the source document are handled in the PDF as working hyperlinks. [This capability is also unnecessary in FrameMaker because Frame is PDF-aware and has the "Include Acrobat Data" option in its own Print dialog.]

What is apparently causing you some confusion is that the Distiller *component* (the executable that does the distillation of PostScript into PDF) is separate from the Distiller *application* and its user interface. You get the same Distiller component whether you have the version bundled with FrameMaker (which has no independent user interface), the Standard version of Acrobat (which has a UI that supports standard features like job options, font embedding, etc. but does *not* support watched folders), or the Pro or Extended versions of Acrobat (which have a UI that *does* support watched folders).

Having said all that, the embedded/bundled version of Distiller does support the use of job options files, but does so through the Windows printer driver interface. You select the Adobe PDF virtual printer, then click Preferences in the Windows Print dialog. I don't have a system handy that does not have a full version of Acrobat installed, so I am not sure whether you can edit the preferences with the bundled Distiller, but you certainly can select from among the job options files that are on the system. But the bundled version of Distiller does *not* support watched folders because that is a feature that is specific to the Professional and Extended (not Standard) versions of the Acrobat toolset and their freestanding versions of the Distiller app.

-Fred Ridder