MIF File Import

Reng, Dr. Winfried wreng at tycoint.com
Thu May 6 23:20:24 PDT 2010

Hi Grace,

Actually you can start with a MIF file which was saved from
FrameMaker. However, you must delete _everything_ which is
not relevant to the formats which you want to change.
Use a regular text editor for this.

You must import such a MIF snippet (that's the term which is
used for such parts of a MIF file; you can search for this
via any search engine) by "File | Import | File". Then select
the MIF snippet and select "Copy into Document". Then import
the changed formats via "File | Import | Formats" into the
other files of your book.

Here is a sample, which updates some of my system variables
and cross-reference definitions after translation (as Trados
presents only those variables to the translator which are
actually in use; those which are defined but not used, will
not be translated). (I deleted most of the formats to
keep it short for this e-mail.)

<MIFFile 7.00> # Generated by FrameMaker 7.1p116
<VariableFormats
 <VariableFormat
  <VariableName `Table Continuation'>
  <VariableDef ` (Forts.)'>
 > # end of VariableFormat
 <VariableFormat
  <VariableName `Table Sheet'>
  <VariableDef ` (Abschnitt <$tblsheetnum\> von <$tblsheetcount\>)'>
 > # end of VariableFormat
> # end of VariableFormats
<XRefFormats
 <XRefFormat
  <XRefName `figure: number, page'>
  <XRefDef `<$paranumonly\> auf Seite <$pagenum\>'>
 > # end of XRefFormat
 <XRefFormat
  <XRefName `heading: number, text, page'>
  <XRefDef `<$paranum\> \xe3 <$paratext\>\xd3  auf Seite <$pagenum\>'>
 > # end of XRefFormat
 <XRefFormat
  <XRefName `table: number, page'>
  <XRefDef `<$paranumonly\> auf Seite <$pagenum\>'>
 > # end of XRefFormat
# End of MIFFile

Best regards

Winfried