Can the spelling checker be trusted?

Scott Prentice sp at leximation.com
Mon May 24 15:35:27 PDT 2010

Hi Jenny...

This brings up my memory of "the evil dot." Back in 1995 or 6(?) (FM 4
or 5) I ran into a file that exhibited similar strange behavior. I could
search (forward) for a word that I knew was in the file, and it would
never find it. But, if I searched backwards it found the word without
trouble. Spell checking had similar issues. I found that if the cursor
was after a certain point in the file, the word could be found. After a
bit of thrashing about, I discovered that the culprit was a period (the
evil dot). If I deleted this period everything worked fine.

What was happening is that the period was like a black hole that caused
any processing to return to the beginning of the file. I could copy this
character into any other file and the same thing would happen .. but if
I saved the file to MIF, there was nothing apparently special about it
.. just a simple period.

I saved the period off in a file for later use (don't ask) .. but
somewhere along the way it was lost (maybe it found its way to your file).

I suppose it's possible that you have a similar situation .. see if you
also can't search for this misspelling .. and see how far away from the
word you can move the cursor and have it still found. Try searching
backwards. Who knows.

I've not seen this behavior again in FM, so I don't think it's a serious
problem, but maybe it's making a resurgence. Or maybe this is a totally
different problem.

Cheers,

...scott

Scott Prentice