Solved: Empty pages not deleting and "The new column layout in <docname> seems to overlap other objects"

Philip Sharman philip.sharman at gmail.com
Fri May 28 15:28:53 PDT 2010

Aha!  I just figured something out.  In case anyone else encounters this ...

I was having problems with empty pages not being removed at the end of my
document when I changed which conditional tags were visible. I ran through
the usual suspects (e.g. checking what page number the next document in the
book was set to) but nothing worked.

Then I read an Adobe knowledge base article (
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/314/314928.html) that recommended reapplying the
left/right master pages.  But when I chose Format > Page Layout > Master
Page Layout to do that, I got the puzzling warning "The new column layout in
doucment.fm seems to overlap other objects on some body pages. Are you sure
you want to do this?"

I wasn't sure what that was trying to tell me, since I only have one column
and a simple page layout.  What was overlapping what? But eventually I got
the idea of putting the insertion point outside the text frame (by clicking
in the margin) and doing CTRL+A to select all.  And lo and behold, there
were some empty graphic objects scattered around on various pages.  When I
deleted them, everything worked again. My empty pages are now deleted as
specified in Format > Page Layout > Pagination > Before Saving and Printing.

One more small step to world domination through FrameMaker.

Hope this helps someone else,
   Philip.