Page Numbering Problems

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Mon May 31 14:41:45 PDT 2010

On 31/05/2010 5:18 PM, Alison Craig wrote:
> I tried both (using Format>  Document>  Numbering>  Page).
>
> First I changed it at the Appendix file level then updated. That made
> all my page numbers work off the TOC page numbering (Roman Numerals,
> etc).

The change at the Appendix file level was ignored; your Book file must
have contained instructions for each file to continue from previous file
in book.

> Then I selected all files in the book and made the change again. That
> worked for the Appendix file but it paginated my TOC in Numeric
> format (not Roman Numerals).

This was the right place but not quite the right action -- FM did
exactly what you told it to, which was not what you wanted.

In the Book window:
Select your TOC and give it Roman numerals, start at i.
Select your Appendix and give it Arabic numerals and start at 1.
Then update the book.  Ignore any warnings about settings not matching.

When you get around to adding the Chapter(s), select the first chapter
(in the book window) and set it to Arabic numerals, start at 1. Select
the remaining chapters & appendices (by shift-clicking) and set them to
Arabic, continue from previous.  Then update.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator