Page Numbering Problems

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Mon May 31 14:49:30 PDT 2010

On 31/05/2010 2:11 PM, Alison Craig wrote:
> Version: FM9 (9.0p250) Unstructured OS: XP Pro with SP3 FM
> Experience: 11 months Writing Team: 1 (me)
>
> I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but...
>
> I have pared down my standard Book to create an Addenda template.
> Normally, the Addenda contains the TitlePage, TOC, Chapter (1 only)
> and Appendix (1 only). Pagination works fine in this version (TOC is
> number in Roam Numerals, Chapter starts at page 1 with an even number
> of pages and Appendix starts at the next page number - ie, if Chapter
> ends on 4, Appendix begins on 5).
>
> However, I've been thrown a curveball and not all the items
> originally scheduled for inclusion will be ready for release this
> week. Therefore I have had to remove Chapter from the Book.
>
> I went in and changed the pagination in Appendix to start at 1
> (numeric) but every time I update the book I get a pagination error
> message and it renumbers the Appendix starting at 3, but in Roman
> Numerals (picking up from the TOC - which shouldn't have any affect
> on the Appendix file).
>
> Changing the pagination with all files selected works (if I read my
> Scriptorium manual correctly, this should set the pagination for the
> Book) but it also means the TOC is no longer paginated in Roman
> Numerals.
>
> I'm sure I've missed a simple setting, but I can't figure out what.

Alison,

Make all your numbering settings in the Book window, *not* in the
individual files.  Book settings override file settings (that's why you
get the warning message).

The reason to work in the book window is this: Files can be used and
printed individually, or they can be assembled in any order into any
number of different books.  Only the Book window "knows" the order of
the files in that particular book and therefore how the pages should be
numbered in relation to each other.

best,

--
Stuart Rogers