Distiller doesn't see Symbol Font

Nancy Allison maker at verizon.net
Tue Nov 2 09:38:22 PDT 2010

Hi, all. I am using FrameMaker 7.1b023 and Distiller 6.0.1 in Windows XP SP3.

I've set up Distiller to find the fonts in C:\Windows\Fonts. This directory contains two symbol fonts:

--Symbol True Type -- Symbol.ttf

--Symbol 8, 10, 12, 14, 18, 24 (VGA res) -- SYMBOLE.FON

My FrameMaker document applies the "Symbol" character format to some characters and voila, in the FrameMaker user interface I can see and print the symbols.

When I generate the PDF, the symbol characters drop out. The Distiller error message says "Symbol not found, using Courier."

Why does Distiller not see the fonts? To add insult to injury, I *know* that Distiller was handling fonts properly for several months, and I have not changed my setup since then. Why has it stopped working?

(Please note, I downloaded and installed both fixes that Art Campbell recommended in another thread: a final patch to FrameMaker 7.1, and a Hotfix. They didn't fix the problem.)

We may soon get FrameMaker 9 and I hope never to have this problem again, but in the meantime I need to generate a correct PDF.

All suggestions warmly welcomed.