SVN Diffs in FrameMaker

Joseph Lorenzini panopticon23 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 11:39:46 PDT 2010

Hi Steven,

I find your response both confusing and incredibly peculiar.

I actually never said nor implied that multiple writers work on the same
files and don't talk to each other. I have no idea where you got that idea.
In fact, we communicate all the time  and its a time consuming process.
Right now to ensure that all the changes are merged together, I have to go
through and set up a methodical, step-by-step process with the other
writers. Furthermore because I am the only full time technical writer, I
have to frequently work with short term contractors that have little
knowledge of my documentation processes. Even with communication, the
chances for a mistake to be made just comes with the territory of a newbie.

*The whole point of my post was to find an automated process for
collaborating on FrameMaker documentation that significantly reduces the
chance of humor error -- not switch from one manual process to another*. I
want to optimize my workflow and manually saving and committing MIFs did not
sound like that would fit the bill.  In the first email I sent out, I
specifically asked if there was custom solution (eg some script) that would
automate the SVN merge process, which I could purchase. You never mentioned
in anything about scripting in your one line response, nor pointed to a
third party tool that would so. Therefore, I assumed you were describing a
manual process, otherwise why would you mention it?

In any case, I now infer from your latest response that you believe that if
someone does not have the ability to create their own script or code to
accomplish task, then they should not bother with solving rpoblems and
instead just stick to manual, time consuming procedure. I don't know why you
are opposed to the idea of purchasing tools from a third party to accomplish
a task but that's what I want. So I guess we'll just have to agree to
disagree.

For example, if someone has a script that would automatically convert my
FrameMaker files into MIFs, merge changes from other writers, and then
commit them to the repository, then that could be promising. Though, I'd
also, want the ability to check out the mif files and use the script to
convert them into Framemaker files (I manage over 30 books and 2,000 pages
of documentation mostly by myself).

I am also not sure how SVN blame and diffing would work with MIF files. I
tried it before with tortoise svn and while it did diff the mif files, it
failed to display human readable text.

Sincerely,
Joseph Lorenzini