SVN Diffs in FrameMaker

Andrew Warren awarren at synaptics.com
Wed Nov 3 12:11:18 PDT 2010

Joseph Lorenzini wrote:

> I want to use [SVN's] Copy-Modify-Merge model in framemaker but I can't
> because there's no utility that will automatically track the deltas in
> different local copies and then merge the changes automatically.

    Right.  That model is meant for line-based computer-program source
    code ONLY; it doesn't work for anything else.

> my system admin told me that [SVN's automatic] merging functionality
> can be done by a third party tool which the SVN client could link into.

    Your system admin is wrong.  SVN uses its own internal diff/merge
    algorithm for automatic merges.  You can specify your own third-party
    diff/merge tool for MANUAL merges -- the ones you have to do by hand
    when the automatic merge fails -- but that third-party tool won't be
    used by SVN to do automatic merges, updates, etc.

> Steve Johnson suggested I commit MIFs instead. This in theory could
> work

    No it can't.  Try this:

    1. Save a Frame document in MIF format as test1.mif.
    2. Move a couple of paragraphs or a figure or something.
    3. Save the modified document in MIF format as test2.mif.
    4. Compare the two files using your favorite text diff program.
    5. Gaze in astonishment at the thousands of differences.

    Sorry, but I think you're stuck with SVN's Unlock-Modify-Lock model
    for your Framemaker files.

    -Andrew

=== Andrew Warren  - awarren at synaptics.com
=== Synaptics, Inc - Santa Clara, CA