Mif2go mystifying failure

Nancy Allison maker at verizon.net
Tue Nov 16 09:01:44 PST 2010

Hi, all. I have sent this post to the framers list run by omsys, but it has not appeared, I don't know why. I'm posting here because I hope that a fair number of Mif2go users also read this list.

I am following all of Omsys's requirements to describe the problem but stopping short of packing and sending my files to Omsys in the hopes that someone will recognize the problem and have the answer.

Here is the problem:

1. I set up mif2go for MS HTML Help conversion. I used all defaults, even didn't edit the mif2htm.ini file because I just wanted a successful first conversion. I also followed all the instructions in the "setting up the conversion environment" section.

2. Mif2go chokes on the first file in my FM book.

3. I get an error message that says:

"DCL NT console driver has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

4. There is a Debug button, which I click. I get a new error message that says:

"Error creating HTML; see Console for details. Continue?"

5. The FrameMaker Console says:

"Mif2Go failed for file: C:\Documents and Settings\nallison\My Documents\M-Series\M4100 Rev L\M4100 Rev L Book\OnlineHelpFiles\1_Intro.htm
code -1073741819 at: Mon Nov 15 11:35:01 2010"

6. Back in the Debug error message, I clicked "Continue" and the conversion continued. All the remaining files in the FrameMaker book file were converted successfully. I ran HTML Help Workshop on them and got a working .chm file that simply lacks the first chapter.

7. I deleted the first chapter from my FrameMaker book file and reran mif2go. It choked on the *new* first file in the book.

8. I set up and ran a conversion to WinHelp4/RTF just to see if it would work. It ran successfully.

9. I went to section D.3.1 in the Mif2go User Guide, "If the problem involves a crash," and followed every suggestion.

10. I tested after entering each new parameter in the "Options" section. It crashed both times.

11. I have done the first three of the four options in section 4.8 "Converting FrameMaker-generated files." (The fourth suggestion didn't apply.)

12. I've deleted ALL mif2go conversion files and setup files from the FM source directory and MS HTML Help output file directory repeatedly as well as closed and reopened FrameMaker. Ive rebooted. I downloaded and reinstalled mif2go (the most recent version, which was what I already had. I thought it might have gotten corrupted.)

The Mif2go User Guide asks these Scope questions:

--Do you get the same result each time you try, or does the result vary? Yes, I get the exact same result.

--If you have machines with other operating-system versions available, does the same thing happen on all of them?
I have no other machines.

--Does it happen with all files, or only some?

Happens with whatever file is first in the .book file.

Here are my answers to the User Guide "Document the problem" requirements:

• A brief description of the problem, including answers to questions in §D.3.2 Scope the problem.

Done.

• Operating-system name and version:

XP Sp3

• Amount of memory on your machine: