setting up technical documentation workflow from scratch

Studio Smalbro studio at smalbro.dk
Sun Oct 10 00:26:05 PDT 2010

  I am about to author a small report on setting up a technical
documentation workflow from scratch.
I need to devise a setup where a group of author can write tech docs,
another group maintain and translate the docs and publish them as pdf.
It is vital that the process can be thought within a technogy which
allows for later integration with publishing to web as well.

I have taken a look at Woodwings serverbased solution which uses
InDesign as publishing frontend, but I would like to see whether I can
accomplish the same using FrameMaker. I suppose I must look for a kind
of database drive solution where the authors write into a database.

I have taken a look on a couple of database publishing solutions:
Patternstream, Sabern, FrameMaker Server but some of these solutions
looks strangely dated when one merely looks at their websites. Sabern
uses product images from FrameMaker 5.5. Patternstream recommends in
FrameMaker 8 in a news release dated 2007. Adobes documentation for
FrameMaker Server seems to be non existent - even a tutorial links to
some very quaint and useless course on a server not even belonging to
Adobe.

My question is: Am I looking in the wrong places? Can somebody
reccommend products which will help me streamline the process?

regards
Jakobsen