Color graphics in PDFs using FM 6.0 come out gray

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 11 11:01:44 PDT 2010

Mike ickham wrote:

> > When I work with files that require FM 6.0 and I generate a PDF, my color
> > graphics come out gray.
>
> Look in the Adobe PDF printer properties on the Advanced tab. You probably
> have the driver set to something besides "Adobe PDF Converter." Choosing
> another driver will limit you to the features in that driver. For example, a
> driver for a black and white printer will not produce color no matter what
> you do.

This is *mostly* correct, but it is inaccurate in one detail. If your document contains graphics that are inserted as EPS or PDF, those graphics will *always* appear in color in your PDF even if you choose a monochrome printer driver or use the printer properties to set the Adobe PDF virtual printer for Black and White rather than Color. The reason for this is that both FrameMaker and the printer driver do absolutely minimal processing on the PostScript code that underlies EPS and PDF graphic objects and just re-embeds that code in the PDF for the final pages. This can be a rude surprise if you use these graphics formats and rely on the Black and White printer preferences setting to strip the color out of your PDF deliverable.

-Fred Ridder