setting up technical documentation workflow from scratch

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 08:50:45 PDT 2010

Hi Jakobsen

As Wim Hooghwinkel has said: define your goals and requirements first, then
look at tools. What Wim means is: you need to define your content strategy,
and then design supporting information models. And that's where DITA may
come in handy, no need to start "from scratch" here.

Instead of looking at database publishing solutions, you may want to look at
(component) content management systems. Wim has already mentioned a couple
of them, but there are more, for example Bluestream XDocs etc.

I've written a white paper in which I list and discuss some of these tools.
Please contact me off-list if you wish to receive a copy.

If you wish to see an example of technical documentation which has been
generated from the same DITA-structured content, check this out:

   - PDF:
   http://www.nomadesk.com/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/Nomadesk_getting_started_guide_final.pdf
   - WebHelp: http://www.nomadesk.com/webhelp/welcome.php
   - HTMLHelp (CHM): included in the product itself. Feel free to download
   and install a trial version to take a peek at it:

   http://www.nomadesk.com/index.php?id=partner_download&utm_source=scripto&utm_medium=afres

Cheers

--
Yves Barbion