Help Tools

Davis, Jessica D. jddavis at federalapd.com
Wed Oct 13 10:54:44 PDT 2010

Pam,

The basic Web Works that shipped with Frame 7.2 may work for you *if*
you have all of the conversion templates from ePublisher and you don't
modify anything in the template that will break the conversion rules.
It's basically a compiler. The idea was you need one license of Pro to
build and maintain your conversion templates, then you distribute those
templates to other writers.  They could use the pre-defined templates
with the standard WebWorks option to generate help.

As for other conversion tools, there are several out there: Robohelp,
MifToGo, Madcap Flare.

We currently are using MadCap Flare 5.something and it works, but it's
been a little painful getting everything to work correctly. The graphic
conversion settings are counter intuitive.  If you select the option to
not convert the graphics, which is usually what you do when you want to
preserve the quality, the graphics come out smooshed. Instead, you have
to tell it to convert and then you set up a PDF job options with super
high quality graphic rendering parameters and have it use those job
options.  There's also a known issue in which Flare doesn't like
non-breaking characters, so we have to import templates before the
online help build to replace all variables and x-ref formats with
versions that do not contain non-breaking characters.  It's kind of a
pain and their tech support didn't seem to understand the problem or the
work around, but they told me they opened an issue for it. The forums
seem to know more about the product than the tech support department.
I'm thinking about using FrameScript to automate this preparation task.

I've heard good things about Mif2Go and Robohelp.

Thanks,
Jess

Message: 1