Help Tools

Bill Swallow techcommdood at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 08:11:52 PDT 2010

> Is WebWorks Standard
> the same as  ePublisher pro?

Not even close.

> I don’t think WebWorks actually *wants* customers.

Well, you can contact sales here and explain your situation.
http://www.webworks.com/assets/html/Contact_Me/

>  When I try to find out how much it costs to buy a new copy, no prices are
> listed unless you have a sales person call you.   We don’t have phones in
> our office.

No phones in your office? Does not compute.

They have an interesting approach to pricing, and one that I'm not too
keen on. They size up your need and price you according to how many
seats and what types of technologies you need. They're taking a
CMS-like approach to product sales.

> I am pretty fed up with it all and am thinking of moving the help to a new
> platform.  Can you suggest another help platform that works well with
> FrameMaker files and looks similar to ePublisher?  I need to produce online
> help in both .chm files and html files.

Adobe's Technical Communication Suite. It has FrameMaker and RoboHelp
(with integration between the two, which you don't get if you buy the
products stand-alone) plus Acrobat, Captivate and Photoshop.

http://www.adobe.com/products/technicalcommunicationsuite/

It'll take some getting used to, but I've found it to be a decent
alternative to WebWorks (and I've been a WebWorks user/expert since
1998).

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood