off topic: e-drawings, eps files, frame and pdf

Tim Lewis ltc.writer at comcast.net
Wed Oct 20 10:41:14 PDT 2010

This is another reason I request the .easm files configured for eDrawings. I
import the PDF into Adobe Illustrator and it comes in as vector art. I then
can change the line weights delete unwanted lines if needed, use the masks,
and add the other elements such as callouts. I did an entire parts manual
this way. This same client had some very large SolidWorks files that I could
not handle so I taught the engineer how to save the file as .easm, open in
eDrawings and then make the PDF. When I needed specific components or views,
I sat with him to get what I needed.

Tim Lewis
Lewis Technical Communications, Inc.
ltc.writer at comcast.net

Numbers or
> tool descriptions (for Service personnel). I also change the colour of
some items
> so they stand out from the B&W line drawings as well as add arrows to
ensure the
> correct part is identified with its part name and number.
>
> FYI: I got an e-mail from R&D yesterday. They were just at a SolidWorks
demo
> where they saw "3D Via Composer". I haven't done my homework yet, but
> apparently it would allow me to grab a view and do things to it then pull
it directly
> into FrameMaker. It also allows for HTML conversion and video creation:
> http://www.hawkridgesys.com/products/3dvia-composer/. The drawback is that
> single-seat server edition is $6,000.
>
> Alison
>
> Alison Craig, Technical Writer
> Ultrasonix Medical Corporation
> Tel: (604) 279-8550, ext 127
> E-mail: alison.craig at ultrasonix.com

Illustrator if
> needed.
>
> Tim Lewis
> Lewis Technical Communications, Inc.
> ltc.writer at comcast.net

SoildWorks
> is older than the 2009 version) when they Save As to an EASM file.
>
> Is there a company protocol that forbids saving as an AI or DWG?
>
> If not, I highly suggest you try to get the engineer to spend an extra few
seconds
> getting you what the user/customer needs - maybe bribe him with some
doughnuts
> or muffins ;-)).
>
> In the past, I've had to use non-vector SolidWorks images and *no one* has
been
> happy with the results.
>
> Alison

that is