Graphics average weight

Thu Oct 21 13:49:46 PDT 2010

mathieu jacquet wrote:

> No, I do not. Is there a special tool for optimizing PDFs?

Here are some things you might experiment with to see which ones provide an acceptable combination of size reduction and graphics quality:

-- In Distiller, try the Smallest File Size job options (a.k.a, Adobe PDF Settings).

-- In Distiller, create a new job options file and experiment with different image downsampling and compression settings.

-- In Acrobat, open the PDF and do a File > Save As to the same name. This is the one I use routinely. Doing a Save As on a new PDF significantly reduces the file size with no quality compromise that I can detect.

-- In Acrobat, select Document > Reduce File Size. I haven't used this much, but it shrunk a 4.2 MB file to 2.5 MB. Graphics quality may be somewhat lower, but I'm not sure, since the PDF came from elsewhere.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.