Round-tripping Chinese XML

Hayward, Morgan (Bolton) mhayward at husky.ca
Thu Sep 2 10:36:54 PDT 2010

Hello Framers,

My co-workers and I are trying to round-trip a FrameMaker document given
to us by our translator that was translated into Simplified Chinese.
The XML output appears to be correct, but when we import the document
back into FrameMaker, the characters appear as question marks.

The encoding is set to UTF-8.

How do we properly round-trip a FrameMaker document that contains
Chinese characters?  Does it have anything to do with the encoding of
the characters when they are added to the document?  Is it related to
the encoding set in the XML file?  Is there a specific setting in the
application definitions we need to set?

Any advice you can share would be appreciated.

Regards,

Morgan Hayward