Font problem with Windows 7

boenat at gedok.com boenat at gedok.com
Wed Sep 8 04:32:16 PDT 2010

Hello, Framers,

I'm using Framemaker 8 and 9 (all Patches
applied) under Windows inside Parallels on the
Mac. A client wants us now to transfer his
manuals into chinese. With Framemaker under
Windows XP (SP3) it was nearly impossible to get
the chinese characters into Framemaker, although
they were shown correctly in Word or Wordpad.
Interestingly it did function for only two
minutes after installing all language packs in
Windows XP, but than Framemaker stubbornly
quitted the cooperation...

So I've installed the two Framemaker versions
inside Windows 7 Ultimate Edition and from now on
it was possible, to get the chinese characters
into Framemaker.

But now I have problems with other fonts. One
client uses Frutiger LT Com fonts in his manuals,
so I've installed this family also in Windows 7.
But Framemaker reports most of the fonts in this
font family as missing now, although Windows 7
shows them all as installed.

After working for more than 10 years with
Framemaker on the mac I can really get furious
with Windows! Why the f*** is Framemaker not able
to find the fonts? Some of the font variants were
found by Framemaker, some not. A first try was
than to copy the whole font family into every
font directory inside Windows that I could find,
but this resolved not the problems...

I've searched the internet and the Framemaker
Database but was not able to find anything
helpful.

Does anyone out there has a (hopefully easy) solution?

Thanks in advance,

André

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,