Round-tripping Chinese XML

Kevin Farwell kevinf at dim.com
Wed Sep 8 21:28:43 PDT 2010

Hello Morgan and Richard,

Formatting requires almost no language skills. I have formatted tens
of thousands of pages in 30 or so languages, and have not needed a
translator at my desk with me. As long as a linguist is accessible by
marked up PDF, fax or even telephone, you can get all of your
formatting done. FrameMaker is pretty good about putting things where
they belong after translation, so the number of questions that come
up should be very low. Also, the resource doesn't need to be a
professional translator. Since all the translation (which should
always be done by professionals) should be done before formatting
starts, all the linguistic resource should be counted on is for
things like hyphenation or occasionally placing callouts. A native
speaker with some sort of translation industry credential, as opposed
to an exchange student living with a neighbor, is usually sufficient,
and they are cheaper to hire than trained translators.

One word of caution: taking on formatting should not lead to skipping
quality steps. Make sure a native speaker looks at the formatted
document before it gets finalized.

Kevin