Strange page number format

Wed Sep 15 12:50:07 PDT 2010

Nancy Allison wrote:

> My Index is showing page numbers like this: 4-xiii.
>
> The xiii is correct -- the page is from the Preface and is the 13th page of
> the front matter. The front matter is numbered with lc roman numerals. The
> page in question has the plain number xiii in the footer.
>
> The 4 presumably comes from the fact that the Preface is the 4th document
> in the book, even though of course it has no official chapter number. The
> paragraph format I use for the title "Preface" is called TitleNoNum, and
> numbering is turned off.
>
> So where is the 4- being picked up? How do I kill it?

Select View > Reference Pages and find the IX flow (typically, on a page named IX). There's a paragraph in that flow tagged IndexIX. In your case, it probably contains this:

<$chapnum>-<$pagenum>

That tells FM to make the page entry of each index entry consist of the chapter number, a dash, and the page number.

If you're using continuous numbering for all the chapters after the roman-numbered frontmatter, you can solve the problem by removing "<$chapnum>-" from the IndexIX pgf.

But if your book uses folio numbering (page numbers restart with each new chapter, and include the chapter number prefix), then doing that will break all your non-frontmatter index entries. In a folio-numbered book, you have two options:

Option 1: Don't index anything in the frontmatter.

Option 2: Use a different marker for frontmatter index entries. To enable this option, do the following:

1) Create a new marker called, for instance, IndexFront.

2) Change all the Index markers in the frontmatter into IndexFront markers.

3) In your ref page IX flow, create a new pgf (copy IndexIX) and assign it a new format named after the new marker -- in this example, call it IndexFrontIX.

3) Remove "<$chapnum>-" from the IndexFrontIX pgf. Save.

4) In the book window, right-click the index file and select Set Up Standard Index.

5) In the dialog box, add IndexFront to the Include Markers of Type list, click Set, and then click Update.

The regenerated index will contain entries from both marker types, Index with chapter numbers and IndexFront without.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.