Templates for international use

Roy Lewis roy_g_lewis at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 17 09:38:13 PDT 2010

Our international offices have agreed to begin using Framemaker to create locale specific documentaion. They will use the same tags and formats we do, but things like paper size being different will surely have some impact on the general page layout, master pages etc.

First, I am trying to compile a list of things to check to ensure I have covered everything. If anyone has done this before and is willing to share things to watch for, I would appreciate it.

Second, Is it necessary to maintain a completely separate set of templates just because of the different page size? I would rather not have to maintain templates that have only 5% differences.

Thirdly, if parallel templates are required, what is the easiest method for maintaining the changes? and keeping the templates synchronized?

Any and all suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Roy Lewis
Kronos Incorporated.