Frame Rule Color Change

Wed Sep 22 07:16:16 PDT 2010

Venkan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> I have attached the commented PDF of my question. It will be very helpful
> to us, if you clarify this question.

For security reasons, you can't send attachments (or HTML mail) to the list -- only plain text messages. So no one else saw the screen shot you provided in the PDF.

I decided to live dangerously and take a look. :-) You had said:

> So, please help to change the Override Rule Color from black to any
> color in the text frames. And also I need to change the width of the
> rule. Please guide how to do this.

Now I see what you meant -- not override rule, but _overflow_ rule. The picture you sent shows a small text frame filled to overflowing with text, indicated by the solid border along the bottom. I assume this is just an illustrative example. The main text frame on a page should have Autoconnect turned on so that new pages are created as needed. Autoconnect is generally only turned off for small disconnected text frames used for callouts, pull quotes, etc. The person creating these and their contents is responsible for ensuring that they are sized right and the contents don't overflow.

Do you just want to change the appearance of the solid border so that the overflow problem is more visually apparent? There is no way within FrameMaker to do that. Maybe someone who has experience with Resource Hacker (http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/) knows whether that ruling line is a "resource" that could be modified -- I doubt it.

I think the solution -- if, indeed, this happens often enough to be a time-consuming problem -- lies in changing the document design, the workflow, or maybe the attentiveness of those creating the problem. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom