Help with table continuation variable

Mon Sep 27 14:09:55 PDT 2010

Steve Pawlowskis wrote:

> I'm working on a print catalog in Framemaker that is created from a MIF
> file that is being generated by a database program. There are tables that
> span multiple columns and I am looking for the best way make the reader
> aware of this.
>
> Ideally, at the bottom of the first column I would like to have text such
> as "More" or "Continued" and perhaps a graphic arrow to let the reader know
> that there are more products in the next column or on the next page. At the
> top of the table in the following column it would be great if I could
> display "Cont." AND text (the Product Heading) that would change for each
> product table.
>
> I've played with the table continuation and table sheet variables and I
> think that I could insert them into the mif output and dynamically change
> their value but I am stuck at how to place them where I would like. It
> appears that I need to place the variable in the table title and I only
> have the choice of placing the table title at the top OR the bottom of each
> table.

No, you can place those variables (or others, or static text like "More") in heading and footing rows, which repeat automatically on each page/column. So I suspect the solution lies in using heading and/or footing rows instead of (or in addition to) a title.

But I can't think of any way to have "More" appear in all the footing rows except the last, unless you script a fix to be applied just before printing/publishing. For a FrameScript solution, contact Rick Quatro (frameexpert.com).

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom