Help with table continuation variable

Steve Pawlowskis SteveP at kaufmanco.com
Mon Sep 27 13:48:12 PDT 2010

I'm working on a print catalog in Framemaker that is created from a MIF file that is being generated by a database program. There are tables that span multiple columns and I am looking for the best way make the reader aware of this.

Ideally, at the bottom of the first column I would like to have text such as "More" or "Continued" and perhaps a graphic arrow to let the reader know that there are more products in the next column or on the next page. At the top of the table in the following column it would be great if I could display "Cont." AND text (the Product Heading) that would change for each product table.

I've played with the table continuation and table sheet variables and I think that I could insert them into the mif output and dynamically change their value but I am stuck at how to place them where I would like. It appears that I need to place the variable in the table title and I only have the choice of placing the table title at the top OR the bottom of each table.

Option 1: Place the table title at the bottom of the table. I can achieve the "More" at the base of the first column but I also get "More" at the end of the table and nothing at the top of the continued table.

Option 2: Place the table title at the top of the table. I can achieve the "Cont." at the top of the continued part of the table but then there is nothing at the end of the first column.

If I can't achieve exactly what I want then option 1 would could possibly work if I could somehow suppress the "More" at the very end of the table.

I'm hoping somebody has a trick or two up their sleeve to accomplish what I want.

Steve Pawlowskis
E-mail: stevep at kaufmanco.com