Compatibility Issues FM 8 and Windows 7

Rick Quatro rick at rickquatro.com
Thu Sep 30 05:15:53 PDT 2010

Hi Carol,

I also experienced this with FrameMaker 8 and Windows 7. They fixed the
issue with one of the FrameMaker 8 patches. The version I am using is
8.0p277 and the problem no longer occurs. Please let me know if you have any
questions or comments. Thank you very much.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
585-659-8267
rick at frameexpert.com

*** Frame Automation blog at http://frameautomation.com

Hi,

I recently had to upgrade my ancient Compaq PC and in the process, IT
changed my OS from XP to Windows 7. I have been happily using FM 8 on
XP for 3 years, but was willing to learn the new OS. However, shortly
after the change, I began to experience a weird phenomena in FM. When I
used my mouse to click into text and then drag over any portion of the
text to select it for editing deletion, whatever... Frame would freeze.
At that point, I tried [Esc] key, but nothing happened. The screen
grayed out, except for the little rotating circle and a dialog box
informed me that the application was unresponsive. My two options were
to wait or to close the application. I tried waiting, but it never
resolved. The only other option was to close FrameMaker and lose the
edits I had performed since the last Save.

I am now clicking into text and using keyboard shortcuts to select text
instead of click-and-drag, but this is difficult to remember when I'm
working. If I accidentally click-and-drag, it's 50/50 whether it will
freeze or not. Sometimes I'm lucky...

Has anyone else run into something like this?

Thanks.

CAROL GOSNELL
TECHNICAL WRITER
NETWITNESS | 500 Grove Street, Suite 300 | Herndon, VA 20170
O: 571.748.4095 | M: 703.728.7202 | F: 703.651.3126