A simple numbering question

Andy Kass akass at jaspersoft.com
Tue Apr 5 13:25:29 PDT 2011

Hi,

At first, I really liked Jay's idea. Those NumberedFirst and NumberedAlphaFirst para tags in my own templates have been bothering me for quite a while.

But the more I think about it, the less I think it is practical, or even possible. I see two problems:

1. With this solution, you need to reset your list numbering in every paragraph type that could come between numbered lists, but not in ones that are allowed inside a numbered list. And I'm not sure those two groups are mutually exclusive. For example, I could have a figure (in my figure anchor paragraph) both as a separator (and nothing else) between procedures and as a illustration inside a procedure.

2. Any tag that may separate numbered lists (by itself) cannot have its own numbering (because paragraphs can have only one autonumber series). So I cannot use headings alone between lists, unless I put all my autonumbering into a single series, but that would be even more confusing.

I am wondering how you solved these problems. From what I see, you need to have usage rules such as "always put an intro paragraph or instruction lead-in" before a procedure (so that lists are separated and numbering is reset), or you need a more complicated numbering format on all your tags. And both of those seem more complex and error-prone than the NumberedFirst para tags.

Thanks,

  Andy