A simple numbering question

quills at airmail.net quills at airmail.net
Tue Apr 5 19:19:15 PDT 2011

Not really. Let's consider what might be eligible as a reset format.

Obviously the first paragraph, such as the Chapter title would reset
everything to zero. Heading 1, yes. Heading 2, yes. Headings down to the
nth level, yes.

If you are doing procedures, your steps won't bridge headings, neither
will lists. So basically, you only have headings reset your numbering to
zero.

If your numbering stream includes tables and graphic captions they won't
necessarily reset. If they do, then you will have them reset for
chapters only, or some other high level structure.

So to make a numbering stream that includes both steps, lists, tables
and captions you would use a pattern much like that below.

The first three positions are for three levels of steps, the next three
are for three levels of lists, then one position for tables, and one for
captions.

Chapter Title
N:< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>

Heading 1 through x
N:< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< >< >

Step1
Step2