A simple numbering question

Tue Apr 5 21:08:42 PDT 2011

quills at airmail.net wrote:

> If you are doing procedures, your steps won't bridge headings, neither
> will lists. So basically, you only have headings reset your numbering
> zero.

A lot depends on template design (and consistency of application). But if all your procedures begin with a standard introductory pgf (mine is called TaskIntroduction) -- something like "To zorkate the frammish:" -- it can reset the 1st-level numbering counter. And of course, the 1st-level numbering pgf can reset the 2nd-level counter, etc.

My template uses the same pgf formats for procedures and numbered lists. Since those pgfs have hanging indents, a regular Body pgf should never appear within a procedure or list (there are indented versions for that purpose). So my Body pgf and all headings reset the 1st-level numbering counter.

> If your numbering stream includes tables and graphic captions they
> won't
> necessarily reset. If they do, then you will have them reset for
> chapters only, or some other high level structure.

I use different numbering streams (series labels) for tables (T) and figures (F). Their numbering includes the <$chapnum> variable, and they're reset by Format > Document > Numbering > Paragraph > Restart Paragraph Numbering. Anything that doesn't need to restart _within_ a file can be controlled by the document numbering settings.

> So to make a numbering stream that includes both steps, lists, tables
> and captions you would use a pattern much like that below.

Or something like this:

FigCap: F:Figure\ <$chapnum>\+<n+>\t
TableCap: T:Table\ <$chapnum>\+<n+>\t

ListNum: N:<n+>< =0>\t
ListAlpha: N:< ><a+>\t
Body, TaskIntroduction, and all headings: N:< =0>< =0>

(I only use two numbered list levels, but a third could easily be added. I also have a separate numbering series and pgfs for lists in tables, but it follows the same pattern as above and is reset by TableBody.)

If you want separate pgf formats for procedure steps instead of using the List pgfs, you can use another series label (say, S), always start procedures with TaskIntroduction (or your preferred name), and have it reset the 1st-level step counter. Something like this (again, you can add a third-level counter if you really must):

StepNum: S:<n+>< =0>\t
StepAlpha: S:< ><a+>\t
TaskIntroduction: S:< =0>< =0>

FM's autonumbering is one of its best features, and quite flexible. The old, multi-counter method Scott outlined still works well, and some people prefer the infinite flexibility.

I like to keep templates simple and enforce some rules about what can follow what by building them into the formats. Procedures must all start the same way, or the numbering won't work. Lists can't contain Body pgfs (or headings), or the numbering won't work.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.