A simple numbering question

Roger Shuttleworth rshuttleworth at avbasesystems.com
Wed Apr 6 12:17:30 PDT 2011

Hi Andy

With respect, I don't think the "two problems" that you listed are problems at all if you use consistent chapter/section/topic structure. Predictable structure is a Good Thing anyway, and even without using structured Frame it it a good idea to have well-defined structures for different types of content - and stick to them.

You also describe a complex numbering series as "hard enough to debug." Debugging is a snap if you draw a matrix of your numbered formats (as rows) and placeholders (as columns). Keep this available (I used to pin mine to the wall, but haven't needed it in years) and the cause of any numbering problem becomes immediately obvious.

And as Richard said, there is nothing to stop you using different series for, say, tables and graphics, and managing those at the document numbering level.

I would much prefer something like this than having to choose between Numbered and NumberedFirst when writing a list. No big deal, obviously, but one less thing to think about.

Regards,

Roger

Roger Shuttleworth
Technical Documentation