A simple numbering question

Andy Kass akass at jaspersoft.com
Wed Apr 6 11:08:49 PDT 2011

Thanks for everyone's input, though it mostly confirms the two problems I listed.

I already have 4 levels of headings and Table, Figure, and Code Listing numbering in one series, so I don't really want to add 2 more levels everywhere (and duplicate the work in the appendix numbering series--but for that I should've used $chapnum). It was hard enough to debug, and with this, I'd have to add the autonumber series to most of my paragraph tags, not just the numbered ones.

And I am reluctant to require some sort of intro paragraph, because I often use the heading as an intro (but not always) so that it shows up in the TOC. So that will give me sections like this:

   4.3.2.1 Copying a File

   To copy a file:

   1. Select the file ...

In my situation, it seems like numbered list (and step) numbering will always be a 2-format deal (Numbered and NumberedFirst).

Regards,

  Andy