Page number not showing correctly in TOC

Thu Apr 14 22:26:48 PDT 2011

Brian Chan wrote:

> Unstructured Frame on XP.
>
> I have a Revision History chapter. The page numbers for that chapter
> are iii and iv (no prefix). But when I look at the TOC, it shows 1-iii.
> I then look at the Chapter tab for Numbering Properties for that
> chapter. It does have 1 in the Chapter # field. But that field is not
> checked. What is checked is the "Read from File" field. My question is:
> I only want iii in the TOC for the Revision History chapter. What do I
> have to do to get rid of the 1- prefix in the TOC?

I assume your chapter files use folio numbering (e.g., 1-1, 3-27). The likely problem is that the heading(s) in the revision history chapter that are listed in the TOC are using the same paragraph format(s) used in the chapters. You have to use different formats, so that the corresponding <formatname>TOC entries in the reference page TOC flow can be different.

Go to the reference pages and find the TOC flow. For each pgf format included in the TOC, there's a <formatname>TOC entry like this ("\t" is one or more tab characters):

	<$paratext> \t<$chapnum>-<$pagenum>

Assuming your Revision History headings are Heading1 pgfs, you need to create a duplicate pgf format called, say, Heading1Frontmatter, and apply that format to those headings. Then, in the TOC flow, create a Heading1FrontmatterTOC pgf and make it look like this:

	<$paratext> \t<$pagenum>

That should solve the TOC problem.

But if you ever need to index anything in your frontmatter, you'll also have to create a new marker (e.g., IndexFrontmatter) for that purpose and then add an entry for its <marker>IX entry in the reference page IX flow.

Basically, if you have some page numbering that includes the chapter number and some that doesn't, then your generated list flows have to accommodate both, meaning extra entries, formats, markers ... Folio numbering is a bit of a pain, isn't it? :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom