insert Greek symbols

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed Apr 20 08:58:04 PDT 2011

On 19/04/2011 10:42 AM, John Radanovich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I insert math symbols inline? Do I have to create an equation
> string or can I just insert a symbol, like the Greek mu?
>
> Thanks.

You can create an equation, or apply a character format:

Click somewhere in the margin of your document so you're not in the text
flow.
Create a new character format, name it and save it in the catalog.
Choose the new format from the dropddown list.
Check that everything is set to As Is (press Shift+F8 if not).
Change the font to Symbol; Update All.

In your text, type the normal character (or Alt-key combination) for the
symbol you want, and apply the new character format to it.  Mu is a
lowercase 'm'; Omega is uppercase 'W', etc.  You can find character
tables on-line or create your own by typing the alphabet in upper and
lower, copying and pasting and then applying the char tag to the duplicate.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator