Cover needs to bleed

Wed Apr 20 14:37:23 PDT 2011

LG Lists wrote:

> I went to the link below and based on that created a graphic box that is
> 8.5
> x 11" with 0 top -0.02" left.
>
> I'll insert the graphic into that box, then I'm not sure what. Anything
> else
> I need to do in FM? I don't know how to make the PDF work for the bleeds.
>
> On top of this, I need to put text in specific places to match up with
> elements on the graphics. So, I'll put the graphic on the master page. Then
> I'm think I'll add anchored frames in the right places and put text boxes
> inside them for the text elements. Does that make sense?

I can't help with bleeds -- I only vaguely recall stuff read ages ago. But as for the graphic, there's no need to create a graphics frame. Create a new master page with no text frame on it (or click outside of the text frame, if any, of the master page you want to use). Then import the graphic (Esc f i f) directly onto the page.

The graphic must be larger than your 8.5 x 11 page in order to bleed off the edges. If it isn't, you'll have to right-click it, select Object Properties, and scale it. If necessary, align it to the horizontal and vertical center.

To position text in specific places in relation to the graphic, just place text frames directly on the page in those places. Depending on the layout complexity, need to reuse, your preferences, etc., you can do one of the following (IIRC, if it's larger than the page, it comes in centered):

-- On the master page containing the graphic, create and position background text frames, and enter the text in those. This has the advantage of letting you fiddle with the positioning of the text in the frame and the frame on the page without overriding the master page layout and without going back and forth between the master and body page. The disadvantage is you have to go to the master page to change anything.

-- On the master page containing the graphic, create and position templates for body page text frames. Return to the body page and enter the text in those. This has the advantage of letting you change the text without having to go to the master page. The disadvantage is you either have to go back and forth between the master and body page to adjust the positioning of the text or move the text frames on the body page, overriding the master page layout.

-- Put only the graphic on the master page, no text frames. Create and position the text frames you need directly on the body page. This has the advantage of being dead simple to do and easy to figure out in the future when you (or whoever) can't remember how it was done. The disadvantage? Well, you can't just import the master pages from your first cover to a new one (but there's always Save As). Not sure what, if anything, else.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.