OFF-Topic: Perfect Proverb for Tech Writers

Andy Kass akass at jaspersoft.com
Thu Apr 21 10:51:11 PDT 2011

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:01:46 -0700, "Flato, Gillian" <gflato at nanometrics.com> wrote:

> "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand."
> Native American Proverb

Mmmm, proverbs and quotes, I love them. Though I have to say, my version of the tech writer's proverb is:

"Ce que l'on conçoit bien s'énonce clairement,
 Et les mots pour le dire arrivent aisément."

"That which is well conceived is clearly said,
 And the words to say it flow with ease."

--Nicolas Boileau-Despréaux (1636-1711)
  L'Art Poétique (The Art of Poetry, 1674), Canto I, l. 153

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Boileau-Despr%C3%A9aux
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Nicolas_Boileau-Despr%C3%A9aux

Thanks,

  Andy