warnings, cautions, notes in sw documentation

David Farbey dfarbey at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 1 01:41:41 PDT 2011

Hi,

The general convention (which is based on an ISO standard whose number I
can't recall offhand) is that a "Warning" indicates the danger of death or
injury to people; a "Caution" indicates some lesser risk, such as a loss of
data; and a "Note" indicates some additional parenthetical or interesting
information.

Many companies don't see the need to apply any external standards to their
software documentation so, in the real world, "that's the way we do it here"
trumps all other standards, ISO or otherwise.

David

David Farbey - david at farbey.co.uk
Mobile  07879 005 946
Web site/Blog <http://www.farbey.co.uk>