Indexable HTML Online Help

Paula Toth Pmtoth at comcast.net
Wed Aug 3 08:08:07 PDT 2011

HI Folks,

We have a project to get FrameMaker-based content topics out to the internet
as an online help system without a lot of customization effort. *BUT* we
want readers to be able to quickly and easily find specific topics that
answer questions by searching on the internet using Google or any other
search engine of their preference. This means that at a minimum.

1.       The online help must be made up of straight HTML pages with no
frame sets or iframes of any kind, so that the online help pages can be
indexed by the popular search engines

2.       Each topic must have its own url

3.       There must be a way to:

a.       Input and manage meta data tags

b.      Control the meta data with a standardized taxonomy

4.       Navigate the HTML pages

5.       Link to related pages

I understand that requirement 1 and 2 means that I cannot user RoboHelp as
it uses framesets or iframes.

Is there a way to use WebWorks Publisher, FrameMaker Export to HTML feature,
or any other technique to address these requirements? If we want the content
to stay in FrameMaker, would we have to author in FrameMaker and  use DITA
and the DITA OT to do this?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Paula Toth

Best Practices Lead / Single Sorceress

TechProse  <mailto:paula at techprose.com> paula at techprose.com

 <http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulatoth> http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulatoth