warnings, cautions, notes in sw documentation

Brian Emrich BEmrich at phoenixcon.com
Mon Aug 1 06:36:00 PDT 2011

The definition of Danger, Warning, Caution is defined by several
organizations. I typically follow the ANSI Z535 standard. ANSI 35 and 53
are referenced by OSHA. However, OSHA hasn't updated their references to
reflect the fact that ANSI combined these 2 standards into Z535 many years
ago.

Mathieu has the Danger and Warning definitions correct. They currently
discourage the use of Caution for equipment damage although it is still
acceptable. There's a new version being published next month that I
suspect will eliminate Caution as an acceptable term for equipment damage.

David also mentioned a mil spec that defines the terms and I know that ISO
also has standards possible injury, although they don't reference the
different levels of injury. With the attempted harmonization between ISO
and ANSI, this may be additional changes in the forthcoming update.

So you need to know the standards that your industry (and country)
reference and apply those standards to your documents. It is also good
practice (required?) that you state those definitions in your document.

Brian

David Spreadbury <dspreadb at yahoo.com>
Sent by: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com
08/01/2011 08:28 AM

hessiansx4 at yahoo.com, framers at lists.frameusers.com, mathieu jacquet
<bobitch at hotmail.com>
cc

Subject
RE: warnings, cautions, notes in sw documentation

The use of Warnings, Cautions, and Notes, specifically Warnings and
Cautions, are used differently in different technologies.

Here are some links that may hep you to decide which use best fits your
needs:

http://www.techcommunicators.com/dkmanual/chap5015.html
http://www.techcommunicators.com/emanuals/wrm/chap06/06-13_notes.htm
http://www.stc-soc.org/quill/2004-05/warnings.html
http://www.tpub.com/content/tentsshelters/TB-9-2320-360-13-P-2/TB-9-2320-360-13-P-20234.htm

http://www.techwr-l.com/archives/0403/techwhirl-0403-00541.html
http://goodtools.net/pages/SUNstyle/constr8.htm
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op990/en/SM/SFF/GUID-EA258A9C-D5EA-43BE-9A44-E8B52A0E594F.html

And MIL-STD-38784C states:
WARNINGS : Highlights an essential operating or maintenance procedure,
practice, condition, statement, etc, which, if not strictly observed,
could result in injury to, or death of, personnel or long term health
hazards.

CAUTIONS: Highlights an essential operating or maintenance procedure,
practice, condition, statement, etc, which, if not strictly observed,
could result in damage to, or destruction of, equipment or loss of mission
effectiveness.

NOTE: Highlights an essential operating or maintenance procedure,
condition, or statement.

Another thing that most people don't adhere to is that WARNINGS should
come before CAUTIONS, which should come before NOTES, when any two, or all
three, may apply to the following paragraph or section.