Re: adding icon to FM para tag?

Roger Shuttleworth rshuttleworth at avbasesystems.com
Thu Aug 4 06:05:05 PDT 2011

Hi

Apart from the autonumbering approach that you are already using, you can use any of the following methods:

* Use a two-cell table, with the left cell containing a graphic. The para format used in the left cell should use the Frame Above or Frame Below setting (in the Paragraph Designer), attaching an image that is stored on the reference page.
* Instead of a table, just use the Frame Above or Frame Below setting (in the Paragraph Designer) to reference a graphic frame stored on the reference page. Tweak the Space Above and Space Below settings according to preference. You will need a second para tag without the graphic for any alerts that use more than one paragraph.
* Use two para formats: one with an attached graphic and set to Run-In Heading, the other for your text. I've never tried this but is sounds doable.

There are pros and cons for each method. (Method 3 has mostly cons, I think!)

If you go with the table method, you might look at the AutoText plugin from http://siliconprairiesoftware.com/Products.html. Using that, you can create the table once, then add it to an AutoText menu from which you can insert it very quickly.

There used to be a M document circulating that gave very clear instructions for these methods, but I have not seen it for a few years. I first saw it in the days of FM 5. I believe it was called "Alerts and Warnings" or something like that.

Hope this helps.
Roger

Roger Shuttleworth
Technical Documentation