FM Book Won't Optimize -- "Can't" Open File It Already Has Open

Pinkham, Jim Jim.Pinkham at voith.com
Mon Aug 8 10:48:47 PDT 2011

FM 9.0p255
Win XP SP 3

Just this morning got this message on a file we reuse in every book. It
appeared in the FM Console after trying unsuccessfully to Format -->
Document --> Optimize PDF Size --> Optimize File. This is a routine
procedure for us. So there's nothing out of the ordinary in either the
file or the procedure.

[PDFSize]  Error: Cannot open file 13-Safety-US.fm.
 Error: Cannot open file 13-Safety-US.fm.
[PDFSize] Dumping Error Information
[PDFSize]

The file that the console claimed FM couldn't open already was open at
the time. I tried MIF washes, first just for it and then for all the
files in the book. Suspecting corruption, I recreated the contents of
the file using a pristine blank template document and saved it under a
different name. I created a new book and moved all the component files
to it.

Nada. Zilch. Zero.

The error message persists. Any ideas?

TIA,