Which FMaker version?

visualbistro at comcast.net visualbistro at comcast.net
Thu Aug 11 19:04:53 PDT 2011

My manager has finally gotten frustrated enough with Word to check into buying FrameMaker. She asked me what version would be best for us, and I'm not sure what to tell her. I have used FM 5 and FM 7 a lot, FM 8 a bit, and have no experience with FM 10. At this point we are building basic documents, but we would like to have better control over the formatting, and be able to use conditional text. I don't foresee us using the structured version, or any of the "fancy" additions to the later versions. But I don't want to saddle us with a dinosaur, either.

What are the general thoughts from this "community?" What are the PROs and CONs? What should I recommend? We are a small startup business (check out www.agilyx.com ), and have to keep an eye on the budget, but we want to create professional results in everything we do.

We are using Windows 7 and Office 2010, on a variety of Dell laptops.

Thoughts? Please reply to me directly, as I am only receiving the digest right now.

Thanks!

Debbie in Oregon