RE(~): Which FMaker version?

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Sat Aug 13 21:59:08 PDT 2011

There are several considerations, some of which have already been addressed on this thread.

(1)          There is only one “current” version of FrameMaker and that is FrameMaker 10. Since there is relatively little FrameMaker product ever in the retail channels, it is very unlikely that you are going to find legitimate, factory-sealed, “new” copies of older versions of FrameMaker for sale, other than perhaps FrameMaker 9. Although “used” copies of FrameMaker may be available for sale, make sure that their license may be legitimately transferred to you by the seller. There is a resource on Adobe’s website that provides the instructions and forms for that. Note that an older version of FrameMaker that was previously used by someone as the basis for an upgrade to a newer version of FrameMaker cannot be sold or otherwise transferred. Academic, student, and/or volume licenses likewise cannot be sold.

(2)          The only version of FrameMaker currently supported by Adobe is FrameMaker 10. If you have any problems with older versions, you are pretty much on your own (I believe Adobe will provide pay-per-incident support for FrameMaker 9, but not for earlier versions).

(3)          If you expect official support for Windows 7 and Office 2010, then FrameMaker 10 is your only option.

(4)          Versions of FrameMaker prior to FrameMaker 9 may have serious problems with PDF creation on Windows 7 using the headless Distiller provided with FrameMaker.

If as a small, struggling startup company you said you were running on old, used systems running Windows XP and Office 2003 (or earlier), I would not be so-concerned about use of an older FrameMaker version. Using Windows 7 and Office 2010 changes the equation dramatically!

                - Dov