More re responses to can't get a pdf file from FM 10

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 14 17:30:27 PDT 2011

Cal Callahan wrote:

> Hmmm. Thanks, Mike. I will definitely check out those possibilities, especially
> since, whenever I print fron FM (or try to print to pdF), I get a notice that
> "Your font information has changed." The file still prints fine from FM, but
> maybe that's a clue to one of the situations you mention.

This message has nothing to do with the problem you describe. You will get this message whenever you change to a different printer driver because FrameMaker relies on the Windows printer driver to provide it with the "font metrics"--the precise dimensions of each glyph in your document. In all versions of FrameMaker from 8.0 onward, the default printer driver is the "Adobe PDF" virtual printer, on the valid assumption that most users will want to produce a PDF file as their primary deliverable output. If you print a hard copy directly (rather than producing a PDF and printing *that* file), you will necessarily change to a different printer driver, and FrameMaker will warn you that the font information has changed.

I can hear you wondering why in the world a minor change in font metric information matters to you. It matters because the subtle difference in dimensions of individual glyphs can add up to enough of a difference to make certain lines of text to break one word earlier or later, or to cause a line break inside a table. The change in line breaks can potentially make the paragraph a line longer (or shorter), and that can make the page breaks change, and that can make the page count and the page numbers in the TOC and index be wrong.

FrameMaker is not alone in being affected this way. Most other word processors (including MS Word) are affected in exactly the same way. The difference is that other tools don't bother to warn you that anything changed. Word has always been notorious for having instabilities in its pagination, and at least some of that behavior is attributable to printer driver changes.

-Fred Ridder