How to enter Unicode Character in FrameMaker 10?

Nancy Allison maker at verizon.net
Wed Aug 24 10:37:37 PDT 2011

Hi, Mike and everyone.

I find the File/Utilities/Character Palette feature pretty unfriendly because there's no way to search it with descriptive text (like "arrow" or "right arrow") and  I tend to get seasick scrolling through it and squinting at the grey-on-black characters.

Is there a way to search it?

If there isn't a way to search it, then I need to find the code somewhere else so I can then find it in the palette. Here is the process I think I'm going to have to follow.

1. Go to http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2192/index.htm or a similar site.
2. Search for the character I need.
3. Look at the U + nnnn code. The first three numbers of the code give me the row number in the character palette.
4. Open the character palette and scroll to that line.
5. Select the character and insert it.

If you get seasick when scrolling, is this basically what you do?

Is there a way to circumvent steps 4 and 5 and just key in the code directly? How do you do that in FrameMaker? Numlock -- Alt -- code doesn't work.

Thanks!