Does anyone know of any good way of handling right-to-left text?

Tue Aug 30 07:36:51 PDT 2011

Simon BUCH wrote:

> I know from experience that FrameMaker still doesn't support right-to-
> left text, but I was wondering if there's anyone out there who have
> managed to work with bi-directional text publications with
> FrameMaker.   Or would you err towards other document handling
> solutions that can handle PDF and XML outputs?

We give our translation vendor FM source files. For all left-to-right languages, we get back translated FM source files and PDFs. For Hebrew, we get back InDesign files and PDFs.

I don't know how they convert from the FM source to ID, or why they chose that route. But it's a data point for you. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom