Frame 10 XML/translation question

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 02:42:45 PST 2011

Hi Michael

Find a "translation service" (or translation company) which accepts MIF as
input. If this is not an option, you could save your FM files as MIF and
convert those to XLIFF (XLIFF = XML Localisation Interchange Format).
Translation tools like Swordfish and others (some of the ones which Wim
Hooghwinkel mentioned) can handle this very well.

And you don't really need FrameMaker 10 to get the Japanese translation
back into FrameMaker. FrameMaker 7.2 does not support Unicode, but this
does not mean that it cannot handle Japanese text. All you need is a custom
font, for example MS Mincho.

Kind regards
www.scripto.nu

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM, Michael Norton <michael.norton at oracle.com>wrote:

> Our company will be translating some manuals from English to Japanese. The
> translation service only accepts HTML and XML input and outputs the result
> in those same formats. I am currently using Frame 7.2. I understand Frame
> 10.0 works in XML. ****
>
> ** **
>
> I realize you can’t give me an absolute answer, but how easy would it be
> to pull the translated output (in XML format) back into Frame for
> publishing as PDFs?****
>
> ** **
>
> Are there any major issues with taking this approach?****
>
> ** **