2. Frame 10 XML/translation question (Michael Norton)

Susan Ahrenhold Susan.Ahrenhold at roush.com
Mon Dec 5 08:33:18 PST 2011

Hey, it doesn't have to be that bad!
Is this a prototype for a major system change, a single document being translated at customer request, or... Anyway, you see my point. The amount of time and software you throw at the solution needs to be based on the solution that you need.

FrameMaker10 contains an option on the File menu called Save as XML...

The nice thing about XML is that is doesn't require a structure (don't get me wrong, I prefer structured XML, but, if this is a one-off document, it may be overkill).

What you need to be sure that you have is a file structure that is set up to clearly identify the XML you are sending to the translation service, and the XML that you are receiving back from the translation service. This is best done in a document management system, but, again, if this is a one-off, you can do without.

At one company I worked for, the powers-that-be liked the quality and speed of the translation so much that they agreed to move from the one-off model to a full-scale system. We decided on Author-It, though, because I had in place detailed Word Stylesheets that could be transferred to structured XML with little trouble.

Hope this helps.

Sue Ahrenhold
Roush Technical Systems
Allen Park, MI