[semi-ot] What PDF/X standard is your favorite?

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Tue Dec 6 11:54:37 PST 2011

>From the viewpoint of reliable PDF publishing workflows, PDF/X-4 is definitely the way to go. It supports fully ICC profile-based color managed RGB and CMYK color along with spot color as well as "live" transparency.

PDF/X-4 is supported via direct export from InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. It is also fully supported by Acrobat Pro beginning with version 9.

Unfortunately, there is no way to directly create PDF/X of any flavor directly from FrameMaker. With quite a bit of work with the Preflight facility within Acrobat Pro X, you might be able to coerce a PDF file from FrameMaker to qualify as one or another PDF/X standards, but until (or if ever) FrameMaker moves to a post 1990's imaging model and direct PDF creation model (or perhaps is folded into InDesign), and PDF standard such as PDF/X or PDF/A from FrameMaker is very problematic at best.

                - Dov (Chair, ISO TC 130 WG2 TF2 PDF/X Task Force in charge of the PDF/X standards)