Acrobat 9 Pro can't read out loud

Carol J. Elkins celkins at awrittenword.com
Thu Dec 8 10:41:21 PST 2011

I've always been able to use Acrobat's "Read Out Loud" feature to
help me proof complex documents by having Acrobat read the PDF aloud
while I read the original to check for discrepancies. Since upgrading
to Acrobat 9 Pro Extended version 9.4.6 on Windows 7, I can't get the
Read Out Loud feature to work. The document is fully tagged, the
sound and speakers are working correctly. After activating the Read
Out Loud feature (View->Read Out Loud->Activate Read Out Loud), when
I select any of the options (e.g., Read This Page Only or Read to End
of Document), Acrobat crashes. It doesn't matter if I'm using a PDF
generated from Framemaker or one downloaded from Adobe's site.

I've read through Adobe's Help forums and can't find a solution. Has
anyone had and successfully resolved this problem?:

Carol

Carol J. Elkins---A Written Word LLC
Making Information Understandable
Phone: 719-948-3773