Error Due to missing tag

George, Brenda (CAI) BGeorge at federatedinv.com
Thu Dec 15 07:33:01 PST 2011

I am encountering these error messages when I flow an xml file into Structured FrameMaker 8:

Internal Error: 8004, 6345644, 8487696, 0

and

Adobe FrameMaker (Structured): FrameMaker.exe - Application Error:
The instruction at "0x00cc1940" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be read.

I have located the problem in the xml markup. The errors are due to a missing <subhead> tag within an element named <holdings>.
If I place a <subhead/> tag in the markup the xml flows without problems. I have tried to modify the DTD and the EDD holdings declaration so that the subhead element is optional within holdings. I have tried a number of different declarations. None of them seem to be working.

The declarations currently are set like this:
The DTD declaration is this:
<!ELEMENT holdings  (mainhead, (subhead?)*, (table*))*>

The EDD declaration is this:
Element (Container): holdings
General rule:     (mainhead, (subhead?)*, (table*))*

It is still throwing these errors for the holdings markup that does not include a subhead tag.

Recently a dll file called "Marketing.dll" was updated and replaced the previous Marketing.dll file. When I flow the xml using this revised dll file it throws the error. When I flow the data using the previous dll file it does not throw the error.

Can this problem be resolved by modifying the holdings declarations in the DTD and EDD, or is the problem tied into the revised dll file?

Brenda George
Desk: (724) 720-8491
bgeorge at federatedinv.com